In some very special places in North America, Mother Nature has found a perfect formula to make dramatic hillside scenery decked out in autumn colors even more breathtaking: she’s added waterfalls.
If you’re planning an autumn colors getaway, here are three fantastic falls that will put the icing on the cake of the fall color pictures you’ll want to post on your social media accounts.
Multnomah Falls, Oregon
- The site falls within the Mt. Hood National Forest, and along the Columbia River Gorge, yet it’s only 30 minutes – an hour’s drive outside of Portland, Oregon. We always recommend taking the slower, scenic route, which will take you along some of the most breathtaking sites of the Columbia River Gorge.
- Many people make the falls, the gorge, and Mt. Hood a splendid day trip from the artistic and hipster attractions of Portland.
- The falls are also a highly rated excursion from Columbia River cruises.
Niagara Falls – Ontario, Canada and New York, USA
- It’s the only dual-country attraction in North America, straddling the US-Canada border.
- Niagara Falls refers to what are actually three side-by-side falls on the Niagara River dropping 160 feet down where Lake Erie flows into Lake Ontario eastward to ultimately drain into the Atlantic Ocean almost half a continent away.
- They are the most powerful falls in North America, with more than 6 million cubic feet of water flowing over the edge of the falls every minute!
- It’s one of the Seven Wonders of the Natural World.
- The water flowing over Niagara Falls is a signature vivid green, created as the water erodes the rocks it flows over and absorbs the minerals.
- Observation vantage points and towers, helicopter tours, and (very wet) tours behind the falls and boat tours beneath the falls that take you incredibly close to thunderous cascades, are all favorite experiences on both sides of the border.
- Niagara Falls, New York is only a half-hour from Buffalo, and Niagara Falls, Ontario is just over an hour’s drive from the bright lights of Toronto. On the Canadian side, the Niagara wine region provides the world with its best ice wine.
- Great Lakes cruises often dock nearby for guests to enjoy the Falls, wine region, gardens, and other tourist-town attractions.
- TAKE A VIRTUAL VISIT NOW: You can view the majestic Niagara Falls from home 24/7 with the Niagara Falls Live Web Cam, including the nightly Falls Illumination.
Montmorency Falls – Quebec City, Quebec
- The Montmorency Falls are a popular day trip and an easy drive from Quebec City. It’s less than 10 miles from the heart of the more than 400-year Old Quebec City, considered a little piece of Europe in North America, with the only remaining fortified city walls on the continent north of Mexico, and historic, French-style buildings.
- It’s a popular excursion from a Canada & New England cruise. You’ll want to make sure you add a pre- or post-cruise stay in this magical city, and include a trip to the falls, where many cruise lines offer excursions.
- Helicopter tours of Quebec City often include the Montmorency Falls.
Start your trip to North America
Let us help you plan your trip
For a Limited Time, Save Hundreds on a Luxury Train Journey in the U.S. Southwest
Only until April 11, Rocky Mountaineer is offering USD $5... more
Viking's Spring Sale: River and Ocean Cruise Savings Plus Up to Free Air
Until March 31, book select Viking river or ocean cruises... more
Two Offers from Ultra-Luxury Seabourn: 20% Off and $4000 Shipboard Credit or Canadian Rates at Par
Ultra-luxury Seabourn is offering U.S. and Canadian... more
Save up to 40% on Hyatt's Brands of Luxury All-Inclusive Resort Vacations
Don't miss out on an all-inclusive vacation this year! Bo... more
You Can Now Book the Hottest New River Cruises: on Colombia's Magdalena River
The first cruises on Colombia's Magdalena River by a majo... more
Cruise in British-Style Luxury and Save up to 30% on Cunard
Treat yourself to cruising in British luxury on Cunard an... more
- 8 Facts About the Panama Canal
- 10 Amazing Facts about the Tasmanian Devil
- Top 6 Wellness and Fitness Cruises You Should be Booking Now
- Top 10 Reasons to Travel to Croatia
- Where's the Only Restaurant in Alaska by a Michelin Starred Chef?
- Discover Tropical Romance in 3 Overwater Bungalow Resorts on the Caribbean Sea