This Mexican city is beautiful, ostentatious, hospitable and idyllic. It is where fun is taken to another level.
You have never been to holiday if you have never been to Cancun. Why do I say this? Because if there was paradise on earth, it will easily be Cancun. This Mexican city is beautiful, ostentatious, hospitable and idyllic. It is where fun is taken to another level. If you are one of the thousands of travellers that's planning to visit it, below are 10 facts that you need to know about it.
- The city is located on the northeastern coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, in the Mexican state of Quintana Roo.
- Cancun is located on the shores of the Caribbean Sea, making it one of the easternmost points in Mexico.
- Cancun is the northern neighbor of Mexico's Caribbean resort band which is also known as Riviera Maya.
- Cancun is a Mayan name 'Kaan Kun' which is translated to mean 'nest of snakes'.
- The city was founded on 20th April 1970. It is home to 722,800 most of whom speak Spanish.
- You will probably not need warm clothes here. The city averages 27.1 degrees centigrade. It boasts a tropical climate.
- To get to Cancun, book a flight to Cancun International Airport. From there you can use the public bus transit system or have the hotel provide you with the shuttle services.
- The economic mainstay of the city is tourism. That is why when Hurricane Dean hit the shores of Cancun in 2007, the city authorities asked tour operators to postpone their tour and asked airlines to send empty planes to evacuate those who were already there. That is how seriously guests are taken here.
- Among the points of interest in the city is the pre-Columbian Mayan sites including; Las Ruinas del Rey, Kohunlich, Kinichná, Dzibanché, Oxtankah, Tulum, and Chacchoben.
- Cancun is an island.
Visit this destination for your once-in-a-lifetime holiday experience.
Start your trip to Cancun, Mexico
Let us help you plan your trip